Thursday, February 3, 2011

Finishing up my series of posts about The Big Weekend

A few weeks ago, Curtis and I drove to the Uno pizzeria at Potomac Mills to meet up with Julie and Sherri. That was a good, but surreal, experience. It was, as always, wonderful to see Julie and Sherri; that goes without saying. (I know, I know: So why did I say it? Yeah yeah ha ha shut up.)

No, it was surreal because, for one thing, after being joined at the hip for some time, suddenly we were 6 - 8 hours apart after we graduated from Virginia Tech. The only times I saw them after 1997 occurred because I was in VA or they were in SC for a bridal shower, or a baby shower, or a graduation party, or a wedding, and then I went back to SC or they went back to MD and/or VA, or we all met in NC for a weekend.

Now, suddenly, I'm an hour and a half from Sherri, 40 minutes from Julie.

On one hand, one BIG hand, that's fantastic. I get to see them a few times a month, rather than a few times a year.

On the other, it's so strange. Because I'd become reluctantly used to seeing them a few times a year. IF I was lucky.

The strangeness contributes to my belief that I don't really live here. I feel like I'm on an extended vacation. Every time I've been in DC, well, EVER, it's because I'm here for a weekend, a week at the longest, and then I'll be leaving.

It started in  1983, when I was in the Gifted Program in War, WV. The Gifted Program was one of the few things I liked about my childhood, for a lot of reasons, one being the yearly end-of-year trip. In May that particular year, we went on a trip to Washington, DC, which was the first time I'd ever gone. We went to a variety of monuments . . . we saw a show at the Kennedy Center . . . we went to the Smithsonian. My favorite was the Natural History Museum. Also at the Smithsonian snack bar: I had the best hot dog I've ever eaten. Not kidding. We also went to the zoo, where I was enchanted by this wee teeny antelope called a dik-dik.


That's a baby, but they don't get much bigger than a small dog. Like 2 feet tall. TEENY.

But I digress.

Later, when I was in undergrad at VT, I heard about these mysterious areas in The DC Metro Area, collectively known as NoVa. I imagined these places to be fantastic wonderlands. Reston, you say? No doubt the streets are made of candy.

During undergrad, I went to DC a few times, but always just for a few days, and it was one big party the whole time I was there.

Right before my exciting trip to San Francisco with Julie, I stayed just outside of DC with her. Again: big party.

After that, I found myself in the DC metro area every now and again, mostly for friends' weddings and wedding-related things.

Over this past year, I've been to DC quite a few times. In June, I went to the American Library Association conference, which was in DC. I was unemployed at the time, but I was looking for a job in the library field, and I believed that going to the conference would help me. I'd network, meet people, learn things. I could talk about it in job interviews. This would be great. Also, I could see some friends and look at a city I really liked.

Then, months later, I was flown up to the area to go to an interview for George Mason University.

I got the job, and flew back up to look for a place to live.

So for my entire life, and definitely for the past year, I found myself in DC many times, in vacation-y ways. I was there for weddings and all their satellite parties--dressed up, having fancy foods and champagne! I was there for educational purposes--visiting neat museums! I was there for career purposes--staying in hotels, exploring various areas, eating at restaurants!

Now, suddenly, I live here. Driving on the Beltway used to seem like an exciting adventure; now it's part of my life. The shopping centers had interesting names; now they're just where I go to pick stuff up. All those monuments and DC landmarks are just 30 minutes away; I see them on CNN, and it's somewhat jarring. I think "That's half an hour from me now." The areas I always heard about in undergrad (Manassas, Falls Church, Vienna) are demystified--they're just areas.

And there's a part of me that still feels like I'm on a vacation. That I'm going to stop staying in this time-share townhouse that looks eerily like my own home . . . and I'm going to pack up all of my stuff (strange how much I brought this time) . . . and I'm going to get back on the plane at Dulles (or was it BWI?) . . . and I'm going to fly back home to . . .

Wait, where do I live again?

Right, the magical land of Fairyfax.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah but now you have to work sucka! Also, apparently Columbia will suck you back in...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's the thing. Damn you, work! Damn you to bloody infernal hell!

    That's what people keep telling me: that I'll be back. Which I'm not saying won't happen. But I'll be here for at least 3 years, I think.

    ReplyDelete